Sunday, January 20, 2008

I woke up this morning at 10 am, yes I got to sleep in ...


Actually the dogs woke me up at 6:30 (which is late!) and then i went back to bed after feeding them and taking them outside so they could do their business. Anyway, Charlie wakes me up saying "There are 3 alpacas for sale in the paper. A mommy, her baby and a daddy". So I got up and called the phone number in the paper. He is about 40 minutes from us so we decided to go take a look. He is a retired guy with lots and lots of animals. Besides the 3 alpacas, he has 50 mini donkeys, lots of sheep, ducks, birds, rabbits, mini horses, I can't remember what else. We know NOTHING about alpacas or donkeys so he was filling us in on everything. The mommy and daddy are each about 7 yo and the baby is only 4 months old so she is real small. The mommy is pregnant again and due this summer. The daddy was beautiful (as far as an alpaca goes). He was 3 different colors, black, white and red. The baby was a cinnamon color and the mommy was all white but she looked different than the other 2. Charlie kept calling her scrawny but I think she was a different "type" of alpaca, I really think she had long hair that hadn't been brushed in a few months and just needed some TLC. Poor thing, needs a good hair brushing!! (can you see me out there in 15 degree weather brushing her long hair?) ha ha
He is also selling some of his donkeys so we looked at them. They were all very friendly and wanted to be petted, where the alcapas were "shy". So that is that ... still don't know if we want to get into all this. I took my camera but forgot my card for my camera so i could not take any photos. Found this cute photo of these 3 baby alcapas in the "net", these are NOT the ones we saw today but they are still cute, don't you think so?

3 comments:

Sharon said...

They're so cute. I think you need some Alpacas and donkeys. And yes I can see you out there brushing their hair, but if it were 15 degrees you would probably want to bring them in the house. You do have a spare room don't you LOL.

Lesa said...

Sounds like the start of a farm....but I am worried that your card making would take a back seat!! LOL Start the farm and I'll come in the summer and help with the brushing!

Joani McDonald said...

Love that picture. They are adorable! We got snow in KY yesterday - I hope there is more to come too!!
Hugs,
Joani